34 BRANCHING OUT
* Launching projects in new markets requires a healthy respect for the local culture.
* Initiating projects with a face-to-face meeting of team members can save money in the long run.
* Project managers tasked with moving into a new market should reach out to local counsel
for help with legal, tax and other regulatory issues.
46 A CITY IN RUINS
* In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers was called in to aid
recovery efforts in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA.
* The corps established Task Force Hope, a federal plan that divided responsibilities into three
distinct units based on location and operational needs.
* With a budget of US$3.7 billion, the Task Force Hope project team tackled issues ranging
from removing debris to repairing levees.
54 SURVIVAL TACTICS
* Organizations must plan for project controversy before it happens and develop a strategy for
handling any negative press.
* When controversy strikes, project managers should try to use consistent communication,
accountability and transparency to manage stakeholders.
* Building networks of informed supporters can help project managers shield projects
* During a controversy, project leaders need to boost team morale through unflinching
>“It’s best to
get a number of
wins under your
belt first before
—PG. 71, DEREK MORRISON,
REED BUSINESS INFORMATION,
60 ON THE MAP: SANTIAGO, CHILE
* The global economic slump and the plummeting price of copper have taken a toll on major
projects in Santiago, Chile.
* With lean economic times ahead, companies are ramping up efforts to establish a more
disciplined approach to project management.
* Chile’s government announced a US$4 billion plan to stimulate the nation’s economy,
including an ambitious overhaul of the city’s mass-transit system.
66 A LITTLE RESPECT
* The first step to earning respect as a young member of the project team is simple:
Do your work well.
* Asking for new challenges can be a good way for younger team members to earn a
reputation as a hard worker—if you do it at the right time.
* Young project managers shouldn’t be afraid to play up their victories.
72 THE NEW OLD WORLD
* A collaborative approach to planning and development helped the team from Euro Disney’s
Val d’Europe overcome opposition to its housing project outside Paris, France.
* The mixed-use, transit-oriented plan lends the development built-in sustainability and diversity.
COST OF U.S. ARMY
CORPS OF ENGINEERS’
TASK FORCE HOPE
IN NEW ORLEANS,