30 BACK FROM THE BRINK
* Identifying signs of failure early makes it easier—and cheaper—to get projects back on track.
Project managers should define potential solutions before bringing problems to the xecutive team.
Project managers brought in to save failing projects must respect existing team members to win their support.
40 PMPs ON FB? OMG!
* Social media—especially wikis and blogs—can provide records of lessons learned and help
project teams collaborate around the globe.
* Some project managers see social media outlets as time-wasters that detract from
a team’s mission.
* Security issues may make some companies wary of their project teams using social
48 STATE OF THE ECONOMY REPORT
* As the recession ebbs, emerging countries will most likely experience faster growth than
* Governments around the world are spearheading stimulus-related megaprojects that will
require extensive labor forces—including project managers.
* Even as many organizations regroup in the wake of the recession, project managers still
must prove their value to the bottom line.
>“There is a limited window of
opportunity for a
troubled project to
be easily recovered.
The longer you wait,
the more time-
expensive it can
be—if a recovery is
—PG. 32, BRIAN H. MUNROE, PMP,
MTI LEARNING INC., OTTAWA,
54 CALLING THE ELECTION
* Panama’s Electoral Tribunal launched an IT project to help deliver the results of the 2009 presidential election with greater speed and accuracy.
A new smartphone app helped the country report results just two and a half hours after the polls closed.
* The project faced a strict deadline and last-minute changes that may have reduced stakeholder buy-in.
THE AVERAGE RATE OF
EXPECTED GLOBAL GDP
THIS YEAR, ACCORDING
TO MORGAN STANLEY
60 MAKING YOUR MARK
* To stand out, project managers have to create and promote a distinct brand for themselves.
* One of the best ways for project managers to market themselves is to establish themselves
as experts in a specific area.
* No one’s personal brand should stray too far from his or her core identity.