32 POWER PLAYERS
* Looking to cut its energy costs, Newmont Nevada Energy Investment Ltd. hired Fluor Corp. to build a coal-fired power plant in rural Nevada, USA.
Struggling to recruit qualified labor to the remote project site, the team offered bonuses to workers who stayed on until completion.
Using state-of-the-art technology, the plant reduces Newmont’s energy costs and adds a revenue stream by funneling power back onto the grid.
Delivered ahead of schedule and under budget, the plant was named the PMI 2009 Project of the Year.
40 GREEN OUT
* Cost savings are the primary driver of green IT projects. IT must work with facilities management and the finance department to see a real payoff. Project managers in green IT need to track energy costs before, during and after the project o prove results.
Once the metrics are available, project managers should make them accessible to everyone in the organization.
>“For project managers, it is
time to become an
the big business and
look for opportunities
that could help
the business in the
46 ON THE SAME PAGE
—PG. 59, SYLVAIN GAUTHIER, PMP,
PROTRAIN CORP., HONG KONG AND
* Looking to connect with retirement-minded U.S. consumers, Wells Fargo launched a website redesign.
A team of researchers met with families in person to gain insights into what people knew about retirement—and then used that information to fuel the revamp.
Divvying the project up into batches allowed the team to gain stakeholder approval and deliver the redesign on schedule.
54 ON THE MAP: HONG KONG
* Although the economic slump is taking its toll on Hong Kong, the city is trying to rebound by leveraging its close ties with mainland China and a massive infrastructure push.
Facing increasing competition from their lower-paid counterparts in mainland China, project managers in Hong Kong are putting a premium on business savvy and solid people skills.
60 CAPITAL GAINS
NEWMONT SAVED IN
BY FINISHING ITS
NEW POWER PLANT
* Part of an urban renaissance in the country's capital, the new tent-like Khan Shatyr Entertainment Center in Astana, Kazakhstan puts a modern twist on a cornerstone of
* The project team adapted its processes and the structure itself to the city's extreme temperatures.